- I have been studying various sources for ideas about what I need for a foaling kit. Here is what I have so far:
Gauze bandages for tails
- Total Foal Care Paste for newborns
- Working flashlight
- Thermometer- (and Vaseline)
- Baling twine for tying up placenta
- Plastic pail with lid for placenta
- Baby bottle
- Plastic measuring cup for milking into and then put milk in bottle
- Container to dip the umbilical in
Sheet cotton or cotton wool
- Another plastic pail for warm water
Gloves- regular latex and long plastic palpation sleeves
- Enemas-Make sure the 2nd enema is mineral oil and water, not another greenbox/chemical one.
- Probiotic paste and biosponge paste
- Ivermectin dewormer for mare
- Various syringes and needles
- Banamine paste and injectable.
- Packed into a plastic box which sits outside mares stall
- Watch or clock to note when water breaks and when baby is born !!
- Cell Phone with vets numbers
- Trailer hooked up and ready to roll in an emergency
- Foal Blanket
- Foal Halter
I have read about half of Blessed are the Broodmares to brush up on my foaling knowledge.