Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Cross Ties

Yesterday little Acey stood on the crossties for his grooming just like a big boy. This included picking out all for feet with no problem. Then I left him so I could go to the tack room and get him a cookie. He is still small enough that a Dumor treat has to be broken in thirds for him. He was so cute standing there trying to act all grown up. I'm sure it helps that most of his life he has watched other horses stand there. He did mess with the ties a whole lot but did not move around unless asked. I think next time I am going to try snapping the ties to the upper rings of his halter. Although I've never seen it done I've heard a portion of the the horse owning population does that with no problems It actually makes sense since it removes the ties from temptation's reach.

Our walks are going well. He is very "brave" and eager to go anywhere I ask.

2 comments:

Kaede said...

Wonderful! It sounds like he is over (for the moment any how) his weaning.
Give yourself a pat on the back.

SmartAlex said...

It is great to realize that the weaning is over and that everyone survived. Mom even said today that she was able to walk up to him and pet him without immediately being nipped at. That's happening more and more often.